Seachem is a large name in the field of aquarium products. Their products help aquarists to keep their aquariums healthy. Their products help maintain the proper water chemistry and provide chemical and biological filtration for your needs.
[lasso type=”table” id=”80″ link_id=”17864″]
If you’re looking for something to make your aquarium hobby easier, read on to learn about Seachem.
Seachem Prime Conditioner
The Seachem Prime conditioner combines de-chlorination while reducing ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It also helps fish build a coat of slime to protect them from infection.
Benefits of Seachem Prime:
- Multifunctional: neutralizes nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and heavy metals while also dechlorinating
- Works instantly during water changes
Of all the products here, Seachem Prime is the one I’d want on hand at all times when doing aquarium maintenance. It rolls several functions into a single bottle yet is entirely safe for regular use.
What To Know Before You Use Seachem Prime
Seachem prime has a sulfur smell to it, which is normal. One can of prime remove toxins from up to 50 gallons of water. When changing your aquarium water, remove the old water, put in the recommended amount, and refill your tank.
Things To Consider When Buying a Conditioner
- What challenge is your aquarium having? The problem you are trying to solve will help you find the conditioner that is right for you. If you have more than one problem, get a conditioner that can handle multiple issues simultaneously.
- Consider the size of your aquarium. The size of your aquarium will let you know how much you’ll need to use. You’ll also need to prevent overuse or underuse because it is important to the lives of your aquatic tankmates.
Seachem stability can make cycling your aquarium quicker than taking weeks or months. Stability has the beneficial bacteria needed to re-start your tank. Stability bacteria are in spore form, unlike some other products.
Benefits of Seachem Stability:
- Lots of beneficial bacteria
- Cycles your aquarium in a week
What To Know Before You Use Seachem Stability
Seachem stability works best when used with biological filtration. Make sure to turn off your UV or ozone light when using this product and shake well before use.
Purigen also controls nitrate, ammonia, and nitrate levels. If these levels aren’t controlled, they can release toxic compounds into your tank.
Benefits of Seachem Purigen
- Porous for high surface area
- High affinity for problem molecules
What To Know Before You Use Seachem Purigen
Before using purigen, there are a few things to be aware of. If you begin to smell chlorine, it’s best to avoid re-use.
How To Use Seachem Purigen
To use Purigen, follow these simple steps:
- Soak purigen in a solution of water at a ratio of 1:1.
- Soak the purigen for 24 hours in a non-metallic container.
- Rinse and soak in a dechlorinating solution for 8 hours. Use 2 tablespoons of dechlorinating solution per cup of water.
- If you’re using it in fresh water, soak it for at least 4 hours.
- After step 4, you can re-use Purigen.
The Seachem matrix is ideal for removing nitrogen waste from your tank. Macro pores allow the Matrix to eliminate ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. This can also be rinsed without damaging the internal filter and is compatible with most filters.
Benefits Of Seachem Matrix
- Easy to clean
- Works with sump, top, and canister filters, as well as others
- It allows a huge surface area for getting rid of bacteria
What To Know Before You Use Seachem Matrix
You’ll need to pre-wash the Matrix before adding it to your tank to prevent dust particles in your tank that can be harmless to your aquarium and fish. Not pre-washing your matrix can also make the fresh water cloudy.
You will also need to rinse your Matrix regularly because the pores can get clogged over time with debris. If it is blocked, beneficial bacteria in the pores cannot feed on the ammonia and nitrates, leading to impurities in tank water.
How To Use Seachem Matrix
Matrix works for many filters, so it can be used with almost any filter. It usually works best with canister filters. Per 50 gallons of water, 500mls of water will work.
Seachem Flourish for Planted Aquariums
Seachem Flourish is a fertilizer that provides all the necessary nutrients for plants to grow, including iron and calcium. While other brands provide all the nutrients, Seachem can be customized to fit your needs.
Benefits of Seachem Flourish:
- It gives plants the perfect blend of nutrients
- Low phosphorous content to prevent algae growth
What To Know Before You Use Seachem Flourish
Seachem Flourish isn’t recommended for beginners because dosing can be tricky. If you overdose on your aquarium with Flourish, it can cause algae overgrowth.
Seachem Equilibrium Mineral Balance & GH Water Treatment
Benefits of Seachem Equilibrium:
- It gives essential minerals for plants, invertebrates like shrimp, and certain fish
- It doesn’t evaporate from the tank
- Can be bought in amounts that can last years
What To Know Before You Use Seachem Equilibrium
Before you use Equilibrium, be sure to check your water hardness. Add more only after the water changes. As water evaporates, the concentrations of minerals in equilibrium will become more concentrated.
Seachem Flourite Natural Substrate for Planted Aquariums
Benefits of Seachem Flourite:
- Grabs and holds nutrients for plants
- It has a long lifespan
- Brightly colored for an aesthetically pleasing aquarium
What To Know Before You Use Seachem Flourite Substrate
When using Seachem Flourite substrate, there may be some initial cloudiness to the water that will fade within a few days. It can also be very dense, so be careful when placing your plants in your aquarium.
Seachem safe is a water conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramine from tap water to make it safe for your tank. These chemicals are harmful to fish and the beneficial bacteria in your tank.
Benefits of Seachem Safe:
- Detoxifies Nitrates, ammonia, and nitrites
- Can build up beneficial bacteria
What To Know Before You Use Seachem Safe
Similar to prime, seachem safe has an initial sulfur smell to it.
How To Use Seachem Safe
Depending on package size, the use can be different. It’s best to dose for the full water volume of your tank.
- For the 50 gram container of Safe, use 200 mg per 50 gallons to reduce chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia.
- For all other sizes, use 1/4 tsp for every 300 gallons to reduce chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia.
Safe can be added directly to the aquarium, but it’s best to add it after a water change. If you add directly to the aquarium, base it on the full aquarium volume. A double dose can be used if your chloramine concentration is extremely high. In an emergency, you can use up to 4 times the normal dose to detoxify nitrite and nitrate. If the temperature is below 86 degrees Fahrenheit and the levels of chlorine and ammonia are low, use half a dose.
Alternatives & Conclusion
There is a large variety of Seachem products for every problem you may encounter in your tank. Seachem products can help you maintain optimum water quality. However, seachem isn’t the only name in the game.
Consider an API water conditioner if Seachem Safe or Prime is too expensive. It works the same but is more affordable. The only difference is that it doesn’t control ammonia, only nitrates, and nitrites. It also doesn’t create the slime layer on your fish that Seachem Prime does.
If The Seachem Matrix doesn’t work for your tank, consider the Fluval Biomax. The Fluval Biomax is extremely comparable to the matrix and controls all the same chemicals. It is also a little less expensive than the Seachem Matrix. The only downside is that you may have to replace the Biomax before your matrix, but this depends on your tank.
If you’re looking for an alternative to the Seachem Purigen, try the Polyfilter by Poly-Bio Marine. Like the Seachem purigen it also turns brown when exhausted, so you won’t discard it too early. The Polyfilter also changes colors for specific problems like ammonia. They can also be cut to fit any filter. For more information about the Polyfilter, watch this video.
Glosso Factory Aquarium Fertilizer is a great alternative to Seachemn Flourish. It’s a little less in cost and is an excellent value.
An alternative to Seachem Flourite Caribsea Eco-Complete is similar in price and function. It looks like aqua soil if you’re looking more for that type of look, and it can also help to cycle the aquarium.
No matter what problem you want to solve in your aquarium, there is a product for your budget and needs.